Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Why I Chose Incarceration

The idea for this blog didn’t come easily to me.  I’d emailed my professor in a panic, asking for suggestions. Her advice to me was to “go with my gut” and “to get coffee and brainstorm.” More importantly, she said, make sure it was something I truly cared about because I was going to blog about it twice a week for 15 weeks.  

I chose incarceration.

I think we have all bumped up against the American jail system in one way or another. Most of us know someone who has been imprisoned. At the very least, we know someone who knows someone who has been in jail. Regardless, it is never too far away. Yet, it remains a shadowy part of our society. It’s something we ignore if we can, make entertainment out of, or put our nose in the air if we are forced to deal with it.

After watching documentaries, like The House I Live In, watching shows like Beyond Scared Straight and Orange is the New Black and knowing people who have done time, I decided it was time to dive in and add yet another voice: those struggling with the consequences of incarceration, but also those who benefit from the penal system. 

There is a lot of stigma surrounding prison. And those incarcerated aren’t the only ones dealing with it. Often, their families face it as well. Particularly, some believe they are being judged alongside their loved one. This is especially true of women dating men who are imprisoned, or parents with children in jail. I will look at both of these topics throughout this project. 

There are also people who make a living off of prison. Often, we only think of correctional officers and wardens. However, many towns are built around high-security prisons and many of the town's residents work at the prison or by providing for those who do. 

The voices of those impacted are often the quietest because of the stigma and the natural darkness is which the system operates. However, it’s time we hear from them if we wish to shine some light on that shadowy corner of our society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment